Phillip R. Walker. Born: Midland, Texas. Admitted to practice by the Tennessee Supreme Court, 1986; U.S. District Court, Western District of Tennessee, 1986, U.S. Bankruptcy Court, Western District of Tennessee, 1986. Education: University of Memphis, B.A. 1981 cum laude, J.D., 1986. Member of the American Bar Association.
Areas of Practice: Phillip R. Walker has twenty-two years of experience in jury and non-jury civil trials throughout West Tennessee, including adversary proceedings in U.S. Bankruptcy Court. Based in Shelby County but also serving Chester, Fayette, Hardin, Lauderdale, Madison and Tipton Counties in West Tennessee.
Phillip R. Walker practices in the area of family law, including divorce, child support, paternity, parentage and legitimation, custody, prenuptial agreements, mediation, Juvenile Court and adoptions.
As a former contract attorney with Juvenile Court, Phillip R. Walker handled thousands of paternity (parentage) and child support cases. Over the years, Phillip R. Walker has obtained experience with DNA paternity testing, including petitioning Courts to allow DNA testing to establish true paternity, and the application of the Tennessee Income Shares Child Support Guidelines.
Phillip R. Walker has successfully handled many difficult divorce cases, including custody disputes, alimony claims and property division cases. Phillip R. Walker has also successfully concluded many family law disputes in mediation, avoiding more costly and emotionally draining trials and often obtaining more satisfactory results.
Phillip R. Walker has also drafted complex prenuptial agreements for clients who wish to minimize the contentiousness in the event of divorce and to protect the inheritance rights of their children upon death.
Phillip R. Walker has also handled multiple serious injury claims, including auto serious accidents, truck accidents, premises liability, criminal assaults, slip and fall injuries, dog bites and complex worker’s compensation claims. Phillip R. Walker has tried numerous cases to verdict before juries and judges throughout West Tennessee. Phillip R. Walker has written and lectured on topics related to injury litigation for the National Business Institute continuing legal education seminar series.
Phillip R. Walker also handles wills and estates, with experience in Probate Court, wills and estates, living wills, durable powers of attorney, probate administration and will contests.
Activities: Former board member and legal counsel for Hope Works, Inc., a non-profit faith based educational program.
Areas of Practice
- Family Law
- Child Support
- Parentage and Legitimation
- Prenuptial Agreements
- Juvenile Court and Adoptions
- Personal Injury
- Worker's Compensation
- Job Injuries
- Animal Bites
- Dog Bites
- Wills And Estates
- Tennessee, 1986
- U.S. District Court Western District of Tennessee, 1986
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court Western District of Tennessee, 1986
- University of Memphis School of Law, Memphis, Tennessee
- J.D. - 1986
- University of Memphis, Memphis, Tennessee
- B.A. - 1981
- Honors: cum laude
- Major: Criminal Justice
- Personal Injury Settlements in Tennessee, National Business Institute, 2001
- A Practical Refresher on Litigating the Tennessee Auto Accident Case, National Business Institute, 2002
- A Practical Refresher on Litigating the Tennessee Auto Accident Case, National Business Institute, 2004
- The Basics of Cross Examination in Tennessee, National Business Institute, 2004
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Bar Association, Member, 1986
Past Employment Positions
- Juvenile Court, Former Contract Attorney
- Hope Works, Inc., Former Board Member and Legal Counsel
Pro Bono Activities
- Former Board Member and Legal Counsel, Hope Works, Inc.